Thursday, October 14, 2010
My darling girl is three years old today. I know that every single parent says it at every single birthday, but how did that happen? How have three years passed since she came into our world? She was just my tiny little bean and now she is a KID. She walks, she talks, she opines, LOUDLY. We have our highs and lows but every day with her is an adventure.
And now after more than one thousand glorious days of on the job training, I think it is safe to claim to be an expert on child-rearing.
Just a few of my pearls of wisdom:
1. Potty training is more art than science.
2. I don't care how many experts say that you can get your kid to eat anything. Accept that you will never understand your child's culinary choices.
3. Sleeping in? Fuhgeddaboudit.
4. Clothes will be changed a minimum of five times a day.
5. Related to #4: seasons, weather and temperature have no bearing on clothing selections.
6. Tantrums happen only at the very worst times. Like in the middle of the painfully quiet craft store.
7. Your child will do things for other people they will never do for you. Like eat. Or sit still.
8. Forget about making phone calls during their waking hours.
9. You don't know stubborn until you've tried to keep a 3 year old away from a cupcake.
10. What worked yesterday will absolutely not work tomorrow. No matter how ingenious.
Happy birthday to my beautiful girl! Every day you make me so proud.