Cara's Chili Con Carne
- 2 lbs Ground Beef or Turkey (I also like to do one pound of each, you get the flavor of the beef without all the fat.) Brown thoroughly and drain excess grease.
- 1 Can Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chiles (undrained)
- 1 Can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 Cans Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced (I use the storebought jar of pre-minced garlic, big time saver.)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/8 Cup Chili Powder or 1 Packet Chili Seasoning*
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I generally add about a teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of pepper.)
- Red Peppers, Green Peppers or Onions (Optional, I like my chili without any of these, but lots of people love them, so add as you see fit.)
I generally serve a salad as a starter, so we get some greens, but that's it and you've got yourself a meal. I like to throw on a little grated cheese and some dill pickle slices. The pickles add just a bit of zing. I love them, but they're not for everyone. If you like pickles, give it a try. Finally, tons of crackers, some cornbread and the Doctor.
That, my friends, is happiness. What is comfort food for you?
*Purists will say that no self respecting chili chef would use a packet of seasoning. I have made it both ways and don't really have a preference. If I remember to buy a packet when I'm at the store, I'll use that. Otherwise, I'll just use chili powder.