I know it's still a week off, but I've already got the Thanksgiving spirit. Thanksgiving has always had a special place in my heart. My grandma always put out such a great feast. Her mashed potatoes are to. die. for. Plus she had a complete ensemble of Thanksgiving china: pilgrim shaped salt and pepper shakers, pumpkin platters and a turkey gravy bowl. Festive! (That's me, circa 1978. Clearly my love affair with Thanksgiving began later. How about that dress!)
There is so much to love about Thanksgiving. The entire top ten could be my list of favorite foods but I'll sprinkle some other aspects in as well.
The Ten Bestest Things About Thanksgiving:
1. Turkey! This might be the perfect food. Dark or white meat, it's all good.
2. Napping. There's just something about a tryptophan induced nap. I have spent many a Thanksgiving afternoon stretched out on the floor in front of the fire.
3. Football. Whether you just watch it or have a family tradition that includes throwing around the old pigskin in the backyard, this sport defines the season.
4. Pumpkin Pie. Topped with real whip cream or cool whip, its spiced goodness is hard to resist.
5. Family. Bellying up to the table with loved ones that you don't see nearly often enough. Priceless.
6. Four day weekend. Although some chintzy companies require their employees to work on Friday (like my husband's) most people still take the day off and have a nice long weekend.
7. Shopping. Okay, this one scares me a little bit, but the deals just can't be beat. I will NOT be out at 6am on Friday, though.
8. The beginning of the holiday season. The lights start going up around town and the Christmas decorations come out in force. 'Tis the season to be jolly!
9. Leftovers. Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce, all piled on a day old roll. Yum.
10. Giving thanks. Even in the worst of times, we all have something to be thankful for, I know I do.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!